Figurehead of the Indipendenza
- Figurehead type
- Figurehead of the Indipendenza
- Vessel name
- Type (Naval/Merchant)
- Copyright owner
- © National Maritime Museum
- Copyright notes
- Photo: © National Maritime Museum
- Current location
- Location date
- Figurehead in the form of a small polychrome bust of a young woman, possibly a personal portrait. The figure's hair is braided in side ringlets and the collar of the dress has a distinctive floral incised pattern.
- Date made
- Place made
- H205 x W142.5 x D122.4 cms
- Wood: Elm
- Object history
- Accepted by HM Treasury in lieu of Estate Duty in 1979 from Robert Arthur Dorien-Smith. The collection was begun by Augustus Smith (1806-72) who leased the islands from the Duchy of Cornwall. The figureheads in the Valhalla Collection came from vessels wrecked on Scilly.
- Vessel history
- 'Indipendenza' details at the time of her wreck.
Wooden barque of 837 tons, registered at Recco. Built by Peragallo, Sestri Ponente, 1875. Owner: G. Marano, of Recco. Registered voyage: Valparaiso to Rotterdam. Cargo: general cargo. Master at loss: Fillipo Caffarena. Wrecked: 20 September 1881.
On her passage from Valparaiso with guano, hooves and horn, a crew of 14 and a pilot on board, 'Indipendenza' encountered dense fog and was thought to be 15 miles south-west of the islands. This estimate proved wrong when she struck four times on the Crims, north of the Bishop Rock. She was pulled off, only to drift back and remained lodged for about five minutes while the water rose to about six feet in her hold.
She floated off and her master tried to bring her into St. Mary's; she drifted and was finally wrecked on the Barrel of Butter, the western point of that island. Almost all her cargo was lost and St. Mary's Pool was reported to be 'thick with horns'.
- ''Valhalla' The Tresco Ships' Figurehead Collection' (NMM, 1984).
One of the ship's name-boards is also in the collection (FHD0016).
- Owner type
- Public Institution
- Owner name
- National maritime Museum
- Contact details
- Royal Museums Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
- Ownership can be cited online
- Accessible to public
- Data verified by owner
- Date verified
The figureheads database contains records of over 300 figureheads.